Hi Paul,

> Am 29.11.2016 um 16:26 schrieb Paul Boddie <p...@boddie.org.uk>:
>
> On Tuesday 29. November 2016 16.01.43 H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>>
>> What is your benefit:
>> a) it supports getting the GTA04A5 to a success,
>> b) success of the GTA04A5 means the most free hardware becomes available
>> again, c) the device is well supported by mainline kernel,
>> d) since the Neo900 wants to use exactly the same DM3730CBP chip it will
>>   run into the same soldering problems, unless we solve them here.
>>
>> Here is a link to the goldelico shop where you can donate for this project:
>>
>> http://shop.goldelico.com/wiki.php?page=GTA04%3ADonation
>
> Firstly, thank you for your efforts in pushing this project forward, despite
> it costing you quite a bit of time and money. I am already a supporter of
> Neo900, but before that initiative started I had considered pre-ordering the
> GTA04 instead. (I held off because there didn't seem to be a reliable route
> getting a complete device, at least not without getting a GTA02 first.)

Well, we have ca. 40 case kits so this time we will have for the first time
complete devices. But also for the last time since we can't get any more.

> It certainly seems important to Neo900 to get these issues resolved, and I
> guess the Neo900 people are aware of this,

I hope so.

> but I also wondered whether the
> Pyra had any similar issues and how they might have been resolved there. I
> see
> that the Pyra uses an OMAP5 SoC, not the OMAP3 SoC used here, so the
> conditions are obviously not identical,

yes, they are very different.

The key problem is that the DM3730CBP (OMAP3) is a Package on Package chip
and soldering it is a very critical process. Texas Instruments has a lot of
guidelines, but they are more on a level of describing what could get wrong
so that you don't lack ideas about that. But it lacks a clear recipe for
solving issues - just sort of "please think of this and that". So we end
up in a pure empirical approach.

The OMAP5 is a hard plastic package and the memory chips are solders around
it. This has different issues in PCB layout, but the production process is
much easier and stable.

> but since you were involved in getting
> the Pyra's hardware finished, maybe there are some things that keep recurring
> with these TI parts and that might be applicable here.
>
> I'm just speculating, really, but also trying to offer some moral support,
> too.

This is important and welcome as well! Especially as we now have 10 years
Openmoko...

BR,
Nikolaus