SCSI Mac hard drives need to be non-parity. But termination is probably the most critical thing.

There are two aspects to this: termination resistors and termination power.

The original 80Mb drive probably has in-line resistor packs right near the 50 pin connector. They can be unplugged. These provide the termination. Later drives had electronically switchable termination which is less obvious. There is usually a jumper marked "TE" which should have a jumper on it for your application.

The other thing is termination power which is usually provided by the SCSI controller but I remember the Mac Plus did not, so maybe the SE didn't either? Anyway, if there is a hard drive jumper marked "TP" you could try that with a jumper, it shouldn't do any harm in any case.

I assume the new hd is Apple, since you don't mention using a "patched" version of 7.5.3? Maybe a search on-line will get jumper definitions. Make sure that the partition size on the disk is NOT more than 2048Mb!!!!

Anyway the error codes that you quote indicate an address error (I think!). So you should re-seat your ram chips and try again. Maybe you disturbed something?

John