Since EN/SC is already using a different method to distribute AT protocols,
I wonder if the latest driver from Asante also installs everything needed to
share files with OSX?

I too must admit I find turning on AppleTalk and AppleShare somewhat
difficult to navigate in OSX. FYI, I have experienced the same "delayed"
volume appearance effect with OSX.3.9 and 8.6 over a standard AT via
Ethernet network. My guess is it's a problem with OSX.3.9, since that's when
it started -- and possibly compatibility with non-G3 Macs as I'm running 8.6
on a 6500 PPC 603e. It is most frustrating as sometimes it pops right up on
my G3 and other times, it takes many minutes, but usually comes up. I have
tried to find a way to refresh the network, or Finder so that it will show
up immediately, but I can't find a way in OSX to do it, or have any effect.