On 26 Jan 2006, at 07:33, NODEraser wrote:

Whatever happened to ye-olde UseNet newsgroups? About the only use
I've heard for them lately, is pictures and video. And the
subscription fees for that are pretty nasty. I remember that many ISPs
offered free newsgroup access, but that was back in the days when text
was the primary use for said medium.

uk.comp.sys.mac manages to be pretty useful and spam-free, though subject to a lot of OT posts that are of interest to the 50 or so people who are the main posters.

My ISP now charges for newsgroups, but a server in Berlin charges just 10 Euros a year for the privilege.

Stuart