Hello,
> Chrilly wrote: (thread was "Positions illustrative of computer stupidity")
>
> > With an infinite fast chip chess programs would be "infinite"
> > strong. Most current Go programs would only play infinite fast.
> > Its an interesting question if Monte-Carlo programs would also
> > play infinite strong.
>
> I think it is so important, it deserves its own thread.
>
> I think the answer is *NO*. Monte-Carlo programs do an n-ply deep
> search of nodes evaluated by a simulation.

The Monte-Carlo programs which use UCT do not do an n-ply deep search, as this
"n" increase with the number of simulations. So with infinite power, the
entire tree will be explored, then the leafs will be at the end of the game,
so the best move will be found. This is true for UCT with ANY evaluation
function, even random, even the one which always answers 0, or always 1, as
soon as the scoring of FINAL position is well done.
However I agree that it is not interesting (as the infinite in this case is
very far), and this does not come from MC, only the UCT (or equivalent) part.

Sylvain