> take a look at some of the corner josekis, some of them has *many*
> variations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taisha_joseki) and go for
> *many* moves (50+?). most humans can't choose the best variation that
> takes advantage of the stones in the adjacent corners ...

A couple of related comments. First, in the 2-day games the pros spend
almost all their thinking time in the opening, i.e. considering
different joseki and how they work together.  By the time they get into
the endgame they are playing almost all moves in under a minute (and
most of that time is spent checking their counting to see if they should
play the quiet move or if they need to complicate things).

Second, the very top pros all seem to say their endgame is the strongest
and most important part of their game. I.e. not the moves they spend
most time on. That always strikes me as strange :-).

The 1971 Honinbo Tournament book is good background on this topic.

Darren