> Note that professionals do not play perfect endgame, ...

Enough, apparently, that it separates a world champion from a
run-of-the-mill 9-dan.

> Also, post-mortem analysis of pro games published in go magazines
> routinely finds some game-result changing improvements in the endgame.

Yes, though in the Honinbo book I mentioned there is something like
Ishida lost by 0.5pt in one game and in the post-mortem they decided he
had played at least the last 100 moves correctly. (from my fuzzy memory
- I don't have the book to hand). However he was probably the world's
strongest endgame player at the time and at the peak of his concentration.

Darren