[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
What if we look at it mathematically by looking at the branching factor? Go’s branching factor is generally considered to be about an order of magnitude greater than chess – perhaps a bit less, right? That means that after each ply go becomes another additional order of magnitude more complex.

Mathematically a bigger branching factor does not matter. If the level increase is proportional to the 2log of time, then it is also proportional to the 10log of time. The only difference is the proportionality factor.
I'm not sure I follow your logic here. Sounds like you are using the hypothesis to support itself in a circular argument. Perhaps you could elaborate.