At 01:22 PM 1/23/2007, you wrote:
... It plays the best game you could ever program it to play. How fast would the computer have to be to beat a human? ... but I would say a computer with perfect software, 32 GB of RAM (so a lot) and a 300 Mhz processor (slow processor) would be able to beat a human.

the programs seem to be about 10-kyu (based on my observations of slugo and smart go at the cotsen open and manyfaces on my pc). 32gb/300 mhz is probably about 3gb/3ghz. so they can beat some 11-kyu humans.

my suspicion is that the programs could play a few (4?) stones stronger with better heuristics and less brute force (except in the end game).

thanks

---
vice-chair http://ocjug.org/