On 1/24/07, Nick Apperson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

In my original question I stated minimum resources.  I agree with you that
lots of memory could be highly useful: "... I would say a computer with
perfect software, 32 GB of RAM (so a lot) and a 300 Mhz processor (slow
processor) would be able to beat a human." (from my original post)

So it sounds to me like most people think that if we had a perfect
program, computers would be able to win.  So at this point hardware will
only allow us to get away with writing less perfect code.

On 1/24/07, Stuart A. Yeates <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 1/24/07, Don Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
>
> > I am fairly sure a perfect program would be impossible, even among
> > the set of all possible programs that could find a move within let's
> > say 60 seconds per move.
>

> Since no one has mentioned bounding memory, a complete lookup table (a
> complete table of correct moves, perfect-hashed by board state) should do
> the trick.

You are right. It's been a long thread  and I'd forgotten that.

sorry
stuart