From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: computer-go@computer-go.org
Sent: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 10:45 AM
Subject: [computer-go] Suicide in MC playouts

When I added code to by bot to prohibit single-stone suicide in the MC
playouts, I saw about a 200 ELO point gain plus an increase in pps due
to the shorter games. I did not need to limit game length to 2x board
area.

When I added code to also prohibit multi-stone suicides in the MC
playouts, I saw the appearance of infinitely long games due to
unrestricted board repetition. So I then had to add the 2x board area
limit. But I also saw a significant drop in strength and a
significant drop in pps.

I understand that allowing multi-stone suicide seems like a bad idea,
but because it makes board repetition much more unlikely, it seems
like a good idea.

Do I have a bug? Has anyone else actually tried prohibiting
single-stone suicide while allowing multi-stone suicide?