This is definately the direction things are headed.  Processors are going to
eventually have tons of cores.  The main problem with the design you
mentioned though is that the overhead of having all those processors would
almost not make it worth it because of how slow they are.  And also, bus
speed becomes a serious bottleneck.  If each of those processors had its own
1MB of local memory (like a cache) that only it could access then I'd say
that would be great.  I think writing programs these days that don't scale
well to atleast 32 threads, if they are programs that require lots of
resources, is basically irresponsible and certainly shortsighted.  Just my
thoughts though.

- Nick