Arthur W Cater wrote:
It's really a way to incrementally update liberties in a
fast way - each stone keeps it's own count of liberties
and it is summed - but of course it doesn't represent
the true number of liberties since a point can get counted 2 or more times. However, if the count goes
to zero, the count is correct.

A count of 1 is also correct presumably, perhaps usefully.

Arthur

Once upon a time, I did analysis of the inaccuracy of pseudo liberties. Searching quickly, I found:
http://computer-go.org/pipermail/computer-go/2005-October/003839.html

For any interested, I did come up with a variant of pseudo liberties that was a lot closer to real liberties. My post about "local liberties" is here:
http://computer-go.org/pipermail/computer-go/2005-October/003852.html