> As far as I know, pseudo-liberties are only used for detecting a
> capture or detecting atari.  If this method you suggest has some value
> beyond that, then I'm interested to learn more about it.  But the
> message that you linked seems to leave out a lot of details.  You give
> conclusions, but I am left wondering how to do my own "open triangle
> tracking."

Local liberties can be used for more purposes...  It gives bounds on the
number of liberties a chain has.  The bounds are quite tight for smaller
chains, and for larger chains, the liberty counts are usually high
enough that an exact count isn't needed.

Open triangle tracking is fairly straightforward.  You can detect all
newly created and destroyed open triangles by examining the 8 stones
surrounding the newly placed stone.

I've implemented the local liberties algorithm in HouseBot.  While not
the fault of the liberty tracking method, the latest HouseBot version
doesn't really use it.  (It stopped getting used properly in 0.4 when
code was added that loops over all liberties of every chain after every
move).  If you're still interested in an implementation, I can look up
the best source revision to look at...

I know they CAN be used for other purposes.  I'm just not aware that
they ARE being used for other purposes.  I am not using them for other
purposes.  You just confirmed that you are not using them (or local
liberties) for other purposes.  Perhaps someone else is.  I just don't
remember hearing about it.  Anyone?