In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Don Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 10:49 +0100, Jacques BasaldĂșa wrote:
But when the
program counts, surprise!, it wins by 0.5 points Chinese.
The users were thinking Japanese even if they accepted
Chinese rules. In fact, they did not have the choice.
They get the impression the game was stolen by
"technicalities" after they saw the engine blunder many
times.

How does Japanese make any difference?   I would think that
a Japanese rule player would appreciate UCT style of play
more than Chinese players?

People are aware that Japanese and Chinese scoring can sometimes differ by a point. So when a player loses to a program by half a point, he can try claiming that he would have won if the other scoring method had been used.

I like to think that MoGo deliberately beats such people by half a point, so as to annoy them more :-)

Nick
--
Nick Wedd    [EMAIL PROTECTED]