It seems to be the case that you don't need to be a great player to
write a great program but it certainly doesn't hurt.  I feel that it
holds me back since I learned the rules just so that I could write a
program.

I believe it's this way with other games too.  Over the decades, some of
the very best chess programs were written by non-masters.   A few were
written by very strong players and often strong players were involved as
advisers.

It seems that it's good to have a reasonable level of skill, but it's
more important to be a skillful programmer.  All other things being
equal, I'm sure playing strength is important.

I personally believe there is a certain skill-set that is somewhat
related to teaching ability and not highly correlated to playing
strength.  The skill-set involves being able to articulate what you DO
KNOW.   I don't know how to explain it,  but I can recognize it in
others - I know how the really good chess programmers think and I'm sure
similar skills are involved for those who know how to write good Go
programs.

Who has the best Go programs at 19x19 level?   I think David Fotland is
only 2 Dan and his is one of the best.   I know the old handtalk program
was written by a very strong player.   How strong is Michael Reiss?
And the other top guys?

I'm not an expert on this but I would just guess that it's a bit more
important in GO to be strong than in games like chess.

- Don