Hi Stefan and all,

> I really want to ask Eric van der Werf, if I could get a copy of > his
> program steenvreter, which won gold in Amsterdam 2007.> Do you have some
> contact with him > or with some other programmers in the Netherlands?

No, not directly.
I suspect they are reading this conversation, so they could reply.
Or you can send them email to their adress of this mailing list...

> Yes, I have thought exactly of this and want to do it if I can find the time>
> I need - unfortunately I am not a programmer yet - Peter Woitke did make
> every> programming work I asked him for my tournaments! But he is very busy
> working> on Suzie now.

Oh, I thought that the work on Suzie had stopped after Chrilly
discontinued the work for it...

> So I want to try these things myself - I am quite sure I would find> all the
> help I would need here or on other forum+mailing lists - so it is really >
> only a question of time ...> > BtW. Hiroshi Yamashita seems to have realized
> exactly what we just> think of - interesting coincidence! See the games
> CrazyStone vs. KCC Igo > discussed here in the list.

Yes, I noticed the other discussions. Make me wonder why the others seems
not interested in asking you to make for instance the CGOS 19x19 pool
more interesting by creating a continuous pool of (rotating) contenders.
A time ago when I tried to connect to 19x19 it was already shut down,
because the lack of interest.
I think there always will be times when interest is low, while at other
times more programs will be present. The 19x19 interest will increase
more and more over the next year or so I think when more MC programs
will enter the 19x19 "arena".

> > Today nearly every program has efficient scalability with time,> so I have
> > to set a time limit but I don´t want to test things like time-management!>
> > My purpose ever was to test the playing strength and nothing else.> If a
> > program crashes while playing, the game will be repeated and if possible>
> > even continued exactly at the point where it was left. > I report bugs and
> > everything that goes wrong but I am not testing > functionality and
> > stability.> > So I think I will set the time as one descripting part of the
> > playing engine> comparable to the number of the version of the program. >
> > E.g. there could be one engine MoGo(10min/game) > and another engine
> > MoGo(30min/game)!> > And firstGo, how strong do you think it is by now on
> > 9x9 and on 19x19?

I only worked on 19x19 this year. Yesterday I tried 9x9 on CGOS again,
but my bug detectors were alarming for this size, so I had to stop it
again (debugging needed). Last version did about Elo=2020
For 19x19 it's 8k on KGS now.
I am always running on a slow one processor machine.
I do not have a multicore yet, so I did not program anything for multicore.
How will you cope with multicore usage in your tournament?

I noticed other programs to be about 8 times faster on a 4 core, so
my program could be about 5k on KGS, if I could use such a multicore
machine (and programmed my software to use it).
(On CGOS with 9x9 this could mean an Elo of about 2300 on a 4 core
 machine).

Edward