From: Don Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: computer-go <computer-go@computer-go.org>
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2007 5:23:46 PM
Subject: Re: [computer-go] 19x19 CGOS

One way to handle handicaps without a server change which could be
easily implemented with the client is to to simply make the first N
moves random - but it would not resemble a traditional handicap system
in any way.     Plus the first N moves might end up being pretty good
moves so it would be applied unevenly.

The problem with any black pass moves is that white immediately passes
too and wins on komi points.    Unless there are no white stones on the
board of course.

There is no simple way to fake it with combinations of pass moves with
programs cooperating.      Probably most programs won't pass on the
first 20 moves or so,  but we can't count on that behavior because it's
incorrect.  You should always pass immediately if it wins the game
 outright.

- Don

John Tromp wrote:
> On 10/29/07, Christoph Birk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007, Jacques Basaldúa wrote:
>>
>>> This can also be done by the programmers. E.g. If CrazyStone is too
 strong,
>>> Rèmi can introduce a CrazyStoneH3 which passes 3 times
>>> at the beginning. But not at the first move, to avoid smart tricks.
>>>
>>> If CrazyStoneH3 is given white and plays: 2. whatever 4. pass 6.
 pass 8.