The whole idea is to not have to change the server.      If I'm going to
change the server I might as well do handicap the right way.

I remember us talking about this before - we went back and forth on how
to implement handicap with chinese scoring and CGOS but I don't remember
what conclusion I came to.     Let's review this:

   1.  We would still attempt to schedule opponents near equal strength.
   2.  We  would still compute ELO ratings.
   3.  Some calculation (perhaps a constant such as 100 at first) to
equate ELO difference to stone handicaps.
   4.  At rating time I would make the ELO compensation based on
handicap and rate accordingly.

For the handicap system,   I have been checking around at various
systems and the GTP protocol.    I think the best way which is likely to
cause the least amount of agony among programmers is to have the server
just send the appropriate "play b"  commands to set up the
position.      The GTP says your engine is supposed to accept moves out
of order.

I would use traditional handicap placement and no compensation (remember
that discussion?)

- Don