On Nov 27, 2007 8:29 PM, Don Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ian Osgood wrote:
> > Checking the participants, I see that MoGo and CrazyStone were
> > specifically invited. Also playing is a version of GNU Go
> > (presumably), as well as veterans Aya and Katsunari, and two dozen
> > others.
> >
> > What boggles my mind is the lack of participation in these events from
> > commercial players like KCC Igo, Haruka, Go4++, Handtalk, and Many Faces.
> It's because these programs will get killed by the top Monte Carlo
> programs.   It's risky competing when your reputation is involved.    In
> fact, it's better not to compete than to compete and score poorly.

I was about to call you on the Many Faces case if Dave didn't. He has
never hesitated to admit it when other programs were stronger, and
Many Faces 11 plays on 19x19 CGOS when the site is up. Also, I don't
know if Handtalk is active development anymore. But you're basically
right, and your direct language is justified to cut through the
hemming and hawing.

Some programs do not compete because they are no longer being
maintained -- but these obsolescent programs would lose anyway. Other
programs do not compete because they would lose. Self-promotion while
ducking stronger competition still works, but hopefully more people
are starting to smell the trick's age. CrazyStone and Mogo win by
winning, not by hiding. I haven't even seen any reason to believe that
right now there exist any commercial programs that can make as strong
a claim to third place as the latest GnuGo or MonteGnu.

Aside: fair descriptions of your program and how it works, and
possibly what didn't work, can be very useful. The Mogo and CrazyStone
papers are excellent, and it would be great to see more of those
one-sentence program descriptions on Sensei's turned into links to
actual web pages. If any of you do this, be sure to inform the mailing
list. That kind of information is definitely not the sort of
self-promotion I was criticizing.