On Dec 13, 2007 4:51 PM, Don Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Do you have a suggestion for a specific mechanism for this?

I was mostly just thinking a file that cgos looks for that includes bot
names and the preferences.  The don't play list would need obvious
restrictions like what you've already suggested.  A preferred opponent was
intended more to get additional games against a particular bot in a shorter
period of time.  I was thinking it'd be tough to do and would only affect
the probability of playing a particular opponent.  Honestly, I wouldn't care
if these extra games didn't count for a rating.  If the bias isn't too bad,
maybe it wouldn't really matter that much.

Here's a motivational example:
  I'm a bot owner who's noticed that against bot X, I lose 80% of my games
because of some peculiar bug in my code.  I fix that code and, like a well
behaved CGOS participant, use a new login.  I then have to wait for my
rating to (somewhat) stabilize and then wait for the games against that bot
to accumulate enough samples to be sure I fixed the problem.  Letting new
bots specify their starting rating may help this process.