On 18-jan-08, at 12:01, Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:

But the speed of the random playout becoms less and less important
with heavy playouts.

This I don't understand at all. The improvement curve for being
faster isn't different with heavy than with light playouts.

I see I didn't word this very clearly. I mean the speed of updating the administration during playout, like liberties or pseudo-liberties becomes less important.

Possibly the mercy rule is a premature optimization just like psuedo-
liberties :-)

I don't know yet...

Next I allowed suicide only for White.

You allowed single-stone suicide too, I guess? This is obviously bad
since it will happen constinously near the end of an MC playout.
It will be like one side is forced to pass 50% of the time and the
other side not.

No, I did not allow single-stone suicide for either side as I see no reason to allow it and it would lead to lots of potential problems (like many board repetitions). Just allowing multiple-suicide for White is enough to push up Black's winning percentage that much.

Mark