On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 06:57:07PM -0400, Don Dailey wrote:
> I think you may still have a bug.  You should get well over 1700 with
> 110,000 playouts, even if they are light playouts.

Hmmm... That is going to be some tough debugging I suspect.

> >   I'm pretty sure my code is fairly well debugged now, but of course
> > there may be still bugs lurking; when I have put my bots on CGOS for the
> > first time it was awfully bug-ridden (and about 800 ELO worse ;-). What
> > ELO rating did pure UCT bots get historically with how many playouts?
> >
> FatMan does 20k playouts and has heavy play-outs, very similar to the
> first paper where mogo described it's play-out strategy - basically
> playing a random out of atari move or a local move that fits one of
> their patterns.   It is rated 1800 on CGOS.    The tree expansion policy
> for nodes is based on the parent count,   not the child itself.    So
> once the parent has 100 play-outs children are expanded regardless of
> the number of games they have seen.    (Near the end of the game in 9x9
> go some moves could be tried a few times before being expanded.)

Oh, interesting! I must have misread libEGO code which seems to use
similar thresholds.

What is the justification of using the parent playout count instead of
the node playout count itself?

--
                                Petr "Pasky" Baudis
Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.