In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jason House <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
On Oct 24, 2008, at 11:23 AM, "Erik van der Werf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 4:57 PM, Robert Jasiek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

In my opinion the goal of a ko rule is to prevent games from not ending.

All restriction rules (about suicide, cyclic repetition, successions passes) contribute to that goal. Ko rules do so by restricting cycles,
succession of pass rules do so to avoid very long encores.

1: [1-eye-flaw], 2: [triple-ko,...]

Is it mathematically impossible to construct a ko rule that allows 1 and

avoid 2? [...]
superko. It is overly restrictive.

In principle, everything can be expressed by rules. E.g., both 1 and 2 can
be avoided by the following, not overly restrictive restriction rules
combination:

- the basic ko rule as the 2 move rule (i.e., passes serve as ko threats) - the fixed ko rule ("A play may not leave position A and create position B
if any earlier play has left position A and created position B.")
- 3 ending passes

The effect is that 1-eye-flaws can be removed, triple-kos are not fought,
and triple-kos can be removed (one side is dead!).

Fine in theory but nobody likes my very efficient invention : ( Maybe you?

I guess more people would like it if triple-kos and other non-abusive
long cycles would lead to a tie.

Erik

I'd prefer to see them treated luke a seki. I'd only want a tie if the capture cycle changed the score back and forth between B+0.5 and W+0.5

This implies that someone or something is capable of calculating the score. But a cycle can occur long before the endgame makes the score calculable.

Nick
--
Nick Wedd    [EMAIL PROTECTED]