In my opinion the goal of a ko rule is to prevent games from not ending.

1: If one player can force a game to an end even when the other player aims at
not ending the game, then the rule is good enough.
In my previous example I would consider it an undesired side effect of a ko
rule that white would win he game. There would be no danger of the game not
ending if the ko rule were less restrictive than positional superko. Black
should be allowed to capture white.

2: In rare cases the only non-losing way for either player could be to aim for
an everlasting game, like a triple ko. In that case an everlasting game it near
optimal play for both players.

3: I guess a ko rule does not have to be so restrictive to prevent everlasting
games in in general. If it can solve situation 2 while still allowing 1, than
that is good enough.

Is it mathematically impossible to construct a ko rule that allows 1 and avoid
2? If not, I would prefer keep 1 and leave 2 undefined.

I am no rules expert, but I cannot explain more clearly why I would be
disgusted by positional superko. It is overly restrictive.

Dave