On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 10:55 -0800, terry mcintyre wrote:
> At some level, this is true; it comes down to crafting an efficient
> implementation; but some languages make it easier to express some
> ideas than others. For instance, some languages make it very natural
> to perform operations on every element of an aggregate - a list, set,
> array, or whatever - without having to express the details of the
> loop.
> Haskell, among other languages, makes it easy to embed Domain Specific
> Languages in one's program; one can imagine a program which expresses
> Go-specific terms in a very natural way. C/C++ with MPI is not the
> last word on multiprocessing support; other languages probably do it
> better. Functional languages permit much lighter-weight concurrency
> and multiprocessing, avoiding the need for locks and semaphores.

Intuitively I completely agree.   Obviously, if you can express ideas
better,  you can experiment much more easily.   I find that as a C
programmer whether I try something or not is based on a combination of
how difficult it is to do something and how much faith I have that it
will work.   If things were easier, I would try more things.

But in practice I find that at least for me,  I need to be able to
produce reasonably fast code too.   There is a loop involved of getting
an idea, implementing and debugging it, then testing it.    Most of
things I am willing to try involve more testing time by far than
implementation time.    If I were using a more expressive language that
was significantly slower, I would try fewer things, not more.   However
I might very well try more clever ideas.

There are probably better choices than C even for this.  Ocaml might
definitely  be something I should learn.

Actually I started to learn this once and when I saw how difficult it
was to simply read a file line by line, I got a little intimidated.
There was this tutorial on the web and the person presenting the
tutorial couldn't even figure it out.  It's like 3 or 4 lines of code in
C,  but paragraphs of code in Ocaml - at least the way this guy was
trying to "demonstrate" it.

I want a language that follows the perl philosophy,  easy things should
be easy and hard things should be possible.     I don't think this is C
but it doesn't seem like it's Ocaml either.    It's certainly not Java
either where "hello world" is a dozen lines of code.