> There are few languages other than these that offer reasonable

performance, not worse than 2X slower than C,  but they tend to be

memory hogs.  Java is one of them.   I cannot imagine every seeing a top

chess program written in Java, or anything that is really memory

intensive as good GO program tend to be.     Is any of the 2200+ GO

programs on CGOS written in anything other than C?

To be fair, I did write an early version of Ergo in OCaml, and it was
equally fast and arguably quite a bit cleaner.  I returned to C++ because an
OCaml library would be useful to probably no one but myself.  So if you want
to release something to the public, I agree that C/C++ is the way to go.
 Other than that, I don't think that computer go development has been
extensive enough to argue that it's spanned all possible approaches.