I've sold 3 copies of Many Faces of Go in China, but when I travel to China
I check in computer stores, they always have it available for a low price.
I have a collection of Chinese versions of Many Faces, one with a 30 page
Chinese language manual explaining all the features in Chinese.  I would say
that for computer go, China is the biggest pirate.

For version 11 I had very simple copy protection.  It only worked if you
installed it from the CD - copying the exe was not enough.  The CD image was
over 30 MB, and in 2002, that was too much for most people to email or
download.  Today that size is file is easy to transmit.  Last year I saw
sales of version 11 go down to about 1/3 of what they were.  Some of this is
due to the age of the program, but a lot must be due to piracy.  This is why
version 12 has copy protection.  I don't like copy protection, but the ease
of making free copies requires it.

Prizes in computer go today are small or nonexistent.  The ICGA world
championship makes you pay to enter.

David