On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 5:58 PM, Mark Boon <tesujisoftw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/8/12 Don Dailey <dailey....@gmail.com>:
> >
> > I disagree about this being what humans do.   They do not set a fake komi
> > and then try to win only by that much.
>
> I didn't say that humans do that. I said they consider their chance
> 50-50. For an MC program to consider its chances to be 50-50 you'd
> have to up the komi. There's a difference.

If the handicap is fair,  their chance is about 50/50.   However,  rigging
komi to give the same chance is NOT what humans do.   The only thing you
said that I consider correct is that humans estimate their chances to be
about 50/50.

One thing humans do is to set short term goals and I think dynamic komi is
an attempt to do that - but it's a misguided attempt because you are setting
the WRONG short term goal.     The human will have a much more specific goal
that is going to be compatible with his hope of winning the game.    For
instance I am sure he will not sit merrily by and watch his opponent
consolidate a won game just so that he can have a "respectable" but losing
score.    Dynamic komi of course does not address that at all.

> > I think their model is somewhat incremental, trying to win a bit at a
> time
> > but I'm quite convinced that they won't just let the opponent consolidate
> > like MCTS does.   With dynamic komi the program will STILL just try to
> > consolidate and not care about what his opponent does.   But strong
> players
> > will know that letting your opponent consolidate is not going to work.
> So
> > they will keep things complicated and challenge their weaker opponents
> > everywhere that is important.
> >

> It's difficult to make hard claims about this. I don't agree at all
> that the stronger player constantly needs to keep things complicated.
> Personally I tend to play solidly when giving a handicap. Because most
> damage is self-inflicted. You can either make a guess what the weaker
> player doesn't know, or you can give him the initiative and he'll show
> you. I prefer the latter approach.
>
> When done properly, I don't see how an MCTS program would consolidate
> all the time. Doing so would keep the position stable while the komi
> declines. As soon as he gets behind the komi degradation curve play
> will automatically get more dynamic in an attempt to catch up.
>
> The problem is: we're speculating. The proof is in the pudding.

Agreed.

- Don