I admit I had trouble understanding the details of the paper. What I think is the biggest problem for applying this to bigger (up to 19x19) games is that you somehow need access to the "true" value of a move, i.e. it's a win or a loss. On the 5x5 board they used, this might be approximated pretty well, but there's no chance on 19x19 to do so.