I think this is a good compromise. Monthly tournaments free for everyone and maybe an yearly one segregated by hardware. Having segregated monthly tournaments would be a bit taxing on the organization and people who would submit their programs for all hardware divisions. Segregation based on consumer grade desktops vs others is simple enough.

Since there is no way to confirm the hardware and KGS tournament results cannot be used to measure program strength in a reliable way, I'd prefer the current theme of casual competitive tournaments.

Gonçalo