Nick & all,

1. Although introducing some limitation of cpu power is an intersting
idea (actually my GPW Cup does), I think it's too early for KGS bot
tournaments.

How to utilize computer clusters' power for planning tasks is a common
and important reseach theme now.  As communication over network is less
effective than in-box one, playing-strength per (total) cpu-power get
smaller when using computer clusters.  Zen's root parallelization
improves up-to 1 or 2 ranks but TDS based algorithms (used for Gommora
and MP-Fuego) are expected to give more improvements.  Preventing such
effort must be a bad idea, I strongly believe.  So, at least, a simple
sum of cpu power of all node computers is not acceptable.  (Some
discouting could be?)

Cpu power of each SMP or NUMA box can be computed by
number-of-(physical-)cores times clock-frequency (although Erik used
logical-cores).  Using number-of-threads instead might be better.  For
more fairness, some factors can be defined for processor arichitectures
or manufacturers, because some participants have to use non-Intel
processors due to their environments.

For GPUs, I have no concrete idea now.  Simple flops is not enough and
more discussion is necessary, I believe.

Another idea, you (or we?) can define some benchmark program(s).

2. I don't understand this at all.  It's just a record of fact.
Intentional omitting of information must be a bad idea.

3. Watching the crosstable in real-time should be a fan for all
observers.

Hideki

--
Hideki Kato <mailto:hideki_ka...@ybb.ne.jp>