If you remove the limit on the tree size, does this still occur?

Otherwise, I agree with Gonçalo - it seems unlikely. When I implemented
Double Step [1] and had weird results I forgot to switch the perspective
of the bots and even worse some of the move generation was buggy.

Cheers,
Tobi

[1] a theoretical/simple game used in one of my favorite papers to show
the laziness of monte carlo tree search when in front
http://www.althofer.de/mc-laziness.pdf