I often found similar for Zen with enough memory.  I and Yamato's
interpretation follows.

Yamato tunes many parameters with relatively shorter time settings
because a huge number of games are necessary for the tuning.  Assuming
the prior bias and the average outcome from the simulations have to be
balanced (using multiple parameters)  for strong play: patterns give
good shapes but almost nothing for local fights and complicated L&D
which should be solved by the simulations.  Yamato optimized these
parameters at a shorter time setting and so the balance is broken (i.e.,
worse than optimum) at longer time settings.

Recently, Yamato tunes the parameters at as long time setting as
possible.

Hideki