> On 31 Jan 2016, at 16:05, Robert Jasiek <jas...@snafu.de> wrote:
>
> For the yellow press: "The number of 10^80 atoms in the universe is much
> smaller than the number 2 * 10^170 of possible positions, which is very much
> smaller than the uncountable number of possible different games."

"much smaller" is a much too weak word. And the point of such comparisons is
that the press wants to avoid stating exponentials (which nobody can "relate"
to). But I agree with Tromp, that a comparison with the number of atoms of the
universe is just ridiculous. I'm just astounded that a smart guy like Demis
Hasabbis thinks it's a good comparison and reiterates it all the time. Maybe
saying "Even if we replace every atom in our universe with a copy of our
universe the resulting number of atoms would still be less than the number of
Go positions" would be appropriate.