Gesendet: Dienstag, 02. Februar 2016 um 05:14 Uhr
Von: "George Dahl" <george.d...@gmail.com>
An: computer-go <computer-go@computer-go.org>
Betreff: Re: [Computer-go] Mastering the Game of Go with Deep Neural Networks
and Tree Search

If anything, the other great DCNN applications predate the application of these
methods to Go. Deep neural nets (convnets and other types) have been
successfully applied in computer vision, robotics, speech recognition, machine
translation, natural language processing, and hosts of other areas. The first
paragraph of the TensorFlow whitepaper
(http://download.tensorflow.org/paper/whitepaper2015.pdf) even mentions dozens
at Alphabet specifically.

Of course the future will hold even more exciting applications, but these
techniques have been proven in many important problems long before they had
success in Go and they are used by many different companies and research
groups. Many example applications from the literature or at various companies
used models trained on a single machine with GPUs.

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 12:00 PM, Hideki Kato
<hideki_ka...@ybb.ne.jp[hideki_ka...@ybb.ne.jp]> wrote:Ingo Althofer:
<trinity-a297d40e-3cf2-45f1-8d38-13a5912b636c-1454339862588@3capp-gmx-bs72>:
>Hi Hideki,
>
>first of all congrats to the nice performance of Zen over the weekend!
>
>> Ingo and all,
>> Why you care AlphaGo and DCNN so much?
>
>I can speak only for myself. DCNNs may be not only applied to
>achieve better playing strength. One may use them to create
>playing styles, or bots for go variants.
>
>One of my favorites is robot frisbee go.
>http://www.althofer.de/robot-play/frisbee-robot-go.jpg[http://www.althofer.de/robot-play/frisbee-robot-go.jpg]
>Perhaps one can teach robots with DCNN to throw the disks better.
>
>And my expectation is: During 2016 we will see many more fantastic
>applications of DCNN, not only in Go. (Olivier had made a similar
>remark already.)

Agree but one criticism.  If such great DCNN applications all
need huge machine power like AlphaGo (upon execution, not
training), then the technology is hard to apply to many areas,
autos and robots, for examples.  Are DCNN chips the only way to
reduce computational cost?  I don't forecast other possibilities.
Much more economical methods should be developed anyway.
#Our brain consumes less than 100 watt.

Hideki