At 07:28 PM 5/16/2007, you wrote:

When you hear the sound on the headphones, are the 'phones
plugged into the computer or the deck?

The earphones are plugged into the deck.

In all probability your sound card has an input volume level control,
in software, is this set as appropriate?

I don't have any idea where to look for it.

If JetAudio has level meters (I've only used Audacity) do they show
signal?

No, I don't think they do.

I've used JetAudio a lot, and I'm sure if it was hearing a sound, it could record it with no problem. The sound is fine when I listen with earphones to the cassette deck, and the sound isn't reaching JetAudio.

Basically what you are doing is using the analog to digital (ADC)
converter of your sound card to digitize the tape.  The software
format is specified by the JetAudio program.  You should end up
with a file in a format that you name or specify to be saved to a
location of your choice.

That part is no problem at all...