On 5/21/07, Michael Fernando <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 2) If you only want to try out Linux, you can completely remove the
> Windows drive and replace that with your spare drive.  Install Linux
> and test/break that installation as you wish and your Windows disk
> is safe sitting on the shelf.
<etc.>

Would something like the following work?

Specify drive 1 (via the BIOS) as the boot drive, have the MBR created
there and set up GRUB to boot Ubuntu off drive 1 and Windows off drive
0.  If drive 0 is respecified as the boot drive, then it just boots
Windows.

So you have Windows on HD0 and Linux on HD1, and you change the boot
disk in the BIOS every time you want to run the other OS.  I would find
this annoying, but, yeah, it might work.

The most likely reason I can think of for this not to work is that
Windows may not like being booted this way.

As long as you don't move the HD with the original Windows installation,
it shouldn't complain.

Any chance of success?

You have good backups, right?