What else would they be making money on??  OS X comes *with* the mac..os x
sold as a standalone OS pretty reasonable in price.  Apple is hardware
company, a good one that also makes good software for their hardware.  But
they are a hardware company.

http://www.computerworlduk.com/technology/mobile-wireless/personal-tech/news/index.cfm?newsid=3853

One article of many that shows the iphone is making over 50% per unit sold.

Maybe all the articles I'm seeing are wrong, where is the data you are
seeing?

Mike