Sorry, I suspected you were indulging in rhetorical hyperbole.
The danger of email is that without emoticons the affect of
the writer is totally flat (i.e., without spelling it out, hard express
sarcasm....)

I think the class differences are sometimes sociological and
sometimes contextual.
My parents were poor new class (well educated, not much income)
so I got sent to college without a type writer, let alone a computer
(I knew there was this really cool thing called word-processing
but I didn't go to a school where you had access to computers...,
not uncommon for middle class kids in the stone age, let alone bring
one to college).  For the first 5 years of working in computing all my
training was informal and for that time I was essentially a serf in
a NYC consulting firm.

Technical fields are traditionally an avenue of social advancement because
they rely on specialized skills not dependent on background
(contrast with service professions).  Immigrants,
kids from blue-collar or rural families etc. get drawn to engineering as a
profession for obvious reasons.  Even here there are factors affecting income
and professional status, ie, formal vs on-the-job training, associate v
bachelors v graduate degree.  Do you own your business or were in a job setting
where an employer would spring for hardware and/or training?

My only real point is that even in as affluent and celebrated a sector as
high tech there are lots of folks struggling, if not just to get by, then
struggling
to get ahead  (I think we forget that in a dynamic business
those things can be the same thing).  -P