>My iMac G5 iSite has been having frequent "blue screen"
>equivalents.....the transparent gray box that tells me OSX has quit
>and I have to shut down.

Is there any info in panic.log?

Did you update to X.4.10? If yes you'll have to hope that X.4.11 fixes
it. What I read about X.4.11 suggests that it is largely intended to fix
the bugs in X.4.10. Not Apple's proudest hour.

>Most of the message meant nothing to me but there was one line that seemed
>to indicate a memory failure.  Is there a way to test the memory on a
>Mac without having to buy new memory and install it, only to find
>that wasn't the problem?

Easy way is to install Applejack with the memory test option. You can
then run a thorough memory test from single-user mode (command line).

>When watching my system stat monitors, I see that the cpu is
>frequently at 100%+ usage (and programs are CRAWLING).  I suppose
>there could be a hard drive problem.  Since it was getting full

A near full drive could definitely cause all the problems you describe.

What process(s) are using all this CPU time? Check with Activity Monitor.

>have moved iTunes and Photos to an external drive so I could free up
>space on the main hd, thinking that OSX needed empty space to use as
>memory???  Is this wrong?

You want minimum 1-2 GB of free disk space.