What happens when you run from a safe boot (Shift key down on Mac's
startup)?

Well, initially it wouldn't start up in safe mode. It hung at the white screen with the apple logo and the spinning dial. So I shut it down after about 5 mins and started again. It took almost 5 min. but did finally start up. I have Camino open with all the tabs I usually have open(10 tabs) , mail, Windows media player because I wanted to listen to Mike Malloy show but.......sadly, I have no sounds. I unplugged my external speakers thinking that I could use the built in speaker but no go. so I"m not going to run in safe mode for long. Too quiet around here. Also have Photoshop CS2 with 2 photos open and iTunes. iTunes won't play either since I have no sound.It doesn't even try to play a song. And all of my widgets are running as usual. The cpu seems to vary between about 44% to around 58% most of the time with spikes up to 100%. I'm not sure how long I need to run on this to see if Camino is going to slow it down but will leave it running overnight with all this stuff open. I really miss having my special buttons on my Logitech rollerball! When you get used to using your thumb to change things with a click or do a screen shot with a click, the basic two buttons feel crippled. One thing that happened when trying to boot into safe mode the first time...when it got hung up a loud whirring sound started that sounded like a very loud fan blowing. I have heard this before when OSX decided to quit. Not every time but enough times that I'm aware of it. I have no idea if it's anything unusual or not. And to make things a bit worse.........one of my dogs ran by very fast and bumped into the small table that my Macbook Pro is sitting on and knocked it off. It fell flat on it's top with a very loud bang. I have not had the courage to start it up....I might have to kill the dog. JUST KIDDING! I have 7 dogs and am obviously an animal lover.

Thanks Tom for your suggestions and encouragement. Wish you were able to make housecalls in Indy.
Paula
IN/USA
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" Have a wonderful day!