>I left it open overnight with Lightroom with several hundred
>thumbnails open in the library, Photoshop CS2 with 2 large photo
>files open, mail, Camino with 8 tabs, Palm Desktop,(thought it might
>be the problem) , system preferences, dashboard with several widgets
>and iTunes all running.  It's still working fine, almost briskly ,
>this a.m.  The CPU load is around 45-54% most of the time. You said
>that was too high.  With so many big programs running at once, what
>would you consider "normal" for the CPU?

Just having all this stuff open is not in itself going to consume any cpu
cycles. The stuff just sits there waiting for you to do something. Should
be close to zero. Activity Monitor will use some cycles because it is
actively monitoring.

If you are not now hitting 100% is strongly suggests that the bad actor
is not running in safe mode. Now you have to hunt down the bad actor.

If Camino is open to web pages that have running Flash animations that
will consume CPU cycles. Does Camino have a menu item that halts
animations?

You could pull the .kext for Logitech from its Extensions folder and
restart to see if that fixes things.

Do you have any login items that could be disabled?

Did you get Widget Manager and use it?