Okay, here's an admittedly strange question: Is it always inherently wrong, >improper or maybe even illegal to register someone else's name as a domain
name, particularly if they are a prominent person?

Without their explicit permission yes, in my opinion (obviously).

Fourth Amendment of the Bill of Rights. Copyright law.  Multiple court
decisions concerning privacy rights.

Ethical and moral considerations.

Just not doing it if the person has no opportunity to object or consent.

Suppose I registered randy.net and then posted pornographic material
and claimed it was yours.  Would that be legal?  Maybe.

Would it be right? No.

If you can't see that then you haven't got a sense of basic fairness, which
I got from the start.

If you've got a sense of mission, please either engage this person in a
collaborative effort or leave them alone.

That is all I have to say on this topic.