I spent a fair amount of time last night checking out various name combinations and many of my top picks were taken as .com but available as .net or others. Do you or anyone else who might know think it matters that much at this point between .net and .com? I settled for a second choice name (probably too long as well) in order to get .com. Unnecessary move?

Randall

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rev. Stewart Marshall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <COMPUTERGUYS-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM>
Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2007 9:34 PM
Subject: Re: [CGUYS] Grabbing domain names of well-known persons?

At 09:21 PM 10/6/2007, you wrote:
BTW, would this sort of situation ideally call for a .com, or would it matter much? Is there really much difference between .com, .net, .org or maybe some of the others?

There used to be a lot of difference but they have relaxed the rules ALOT!

.com was commercial
.net was network
.org was a non profit.

However you no longer need to show proof of this to get that extension. Plus with all the added extensions out there you can get a lot of bang for your buck.

(I have heard of folks registering all extensions to keep someone else from getting it.)

Still I would expect a .org would be a non profit group.

Stewart

Rev. Stewart A. Marshall
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Prince of Peace