> It is foolish to continue to buy into obsolete technologies such as the
> old serial and parallel interfaces or floppy drives.

Let me give you another example where the new technology failed over the
old.

We started using IP-based management cards for the APC UPSes for our
servers.  The advantage over the serial based is that you only have one
console to manage and there is only one cable to worry about, vs. 8.

Problem is, one of the damned things borked the password we input and now we
can't manage it at all.  What's the secondary management interface?  Serial.

That has its own issues, not the least of which is having to use a
proprietary cable, but at least the old serial-based UPS mgmt systems
*worked*.  Sure, the cables were a pain to manage, but more often than not,
Occam rules: simplest is best.