I finally had a drastic solution to my Thunderbird quitting problem. I installed a fresh copy of OS X. Besides Thunderbird quitting, Seamonkey was acting strangely, and then the iMac had a kernel crash. I had never had any problem with any of this before installing the copy made with Carbon Copy Cloner. I don't remember specific wording but at the end of the CCC process it put up a message that certain parts of the System could not be copied. It would seem that they might be critical parts of the OS.
I'll have to do some research and use CCC again to experiment.
Anyone else have any such problems with CCC?