>It's only anecdotal but I've heard from many people across the country with
>DSL that they almost always get the lesser service then what they pay for on
>average.

I have never seen any DSL connection speed presented as an "average"
rate. It is usually presented as an "up to" rate, which is consistent
with what you are observing. In practice, I've observed that the DSL
provider caps the rate at slightly above the rate they specify.

In my experience DSL rates are fairly constant. You get what you pay for,
no more and no less.

In contrast cable rates are all over the place. Use it in the middle of
the night and you have the whole wire to yourself. Use it at rush hour
and the speed is poor. As more people get network-fed DVRs I expect that
the overnight performance of cable will get worse as more people download
video.