I don't believe what you wrote is 100% true. What can happen with copper pairs is that interference (water, squirrels chewing, corrosion, etc.) or "noise" causes damaged and or dropped packets, and these create requests for re-sends of those packets. So your "throughput" in terms of packets per second goes down, which is interpreted by the measurement applications as reduced "line speed". It should also be noted the the other limitation of Internet access service is dependent on the "pipe" from the service provider to the nearest DNS server - if all they have is a link capable of say 10 Mb/sec, then no matter what facilities you have, you will be sharing that pipe with the other subscribers, whether that is cable, DSL, or FIOS. Small rural telephone companies can offer DSL relatively cheaply, but if they don't have a hefty link to the Internet, you aren't going to get blinding speed, especially after school, weekends, and on snow days.

As far as distance from the central office, you are correct that there is a limit on the length of the copper than will work, but that can be extended by the use of fiber from the central office to a repeater, extending the distance considerably. In my case, I am 8 miles from the serving central office and still have ADSL that works about 1.8 Mb/sec down and about half that up. Verizon placed a repeater hut about two miles from my place, and it serves a LOT of subscribers in the area - we don't have cable, so anything is better than dial-up. Verizon is also putting in fiber to replace copper in a lot of New Jersey towns, but where we live won't be done until last - we don't have enough subscribers in this rural area to make it worth the expense.

Mike

Eric S. Sande wrote:
Most people I know with DSL find fairly constanct rates. But I know a few who apparently have some sort of issues with the copper wire from the CO to
the house.  Rain can really lower their data rate.

Yep. The primary limitation of "DSL" is line loss. If I am the provider, I
can set your "cap" at 3 mbps (for example) at the point of presence (POP).

But the ultimate arbiters of your speed are going to be determined by loop
quality. If you have a crappy loop to begin with, or if you are a long distance
from the POP, you aren't going to get 3 mbps.

When it rains, with aerial cable, some things in the system sometimes, well,
leak.  Mostly the telco has this under control.  Sometimes it doesn't.

A telco won't sell DSL to a subscriber beyond 18K feet from the POP.

If they do they're behaving irresponsibly, because the physical limitations
of the network are such that it can't be supported with any reasonable
QOS at that distance, even with a perfect loop (which exists only in OZ).

I have one question for Paula.  Are you in Verizon territory?