Most people I know with DSL find fairly constanct rates.   But I know a few
who apparently have some sort of issues with the copper wire from the CO to
the house.  Rain can really lower their data rate.

Yep.  The primary limitation of "DSL" is line loss.  If I am the provider, I
can set your "cap" at 3 mbps (for example) at the point of presence (POP).

But the ultimate arbiters of your speed are going to be determined by loop
quality. If you have a crappy loop to begin with, or if you are a long distance
from the POP, you aren't going to get 3 mbps.

When it rains, with aerial cable, some things in the system sometimes, well,
leak.  Mostly the telco has this under control.  Sometimes it doesn't.

A telco won't sell DSL to a subscriber beyond 18K feet from the POP.

If they do they're behaving irresponsibly, because the physical limitations
of the network are such that it can't be supported with any reasonable
QOS at that distance, even with a perfect loop (which exists only in OZ).

I have one question for Paula.  Are you in Verizon territory?